Keran is a beautiful destination in the Neelum Valley of Azad Jammu and Kashmir, Pakistan. Scenic beauty, peaceful surroundings, and range of outdoor activities in Keran Azad Kashmir make it an ideal destination for nature lovers and adventure seekers. Whether you are looking to hike, fish, camp, or simply relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings, Keran has something to offer for everyone.
Nestled amidst the majestic mountains of northern Pakistan lies the hidden gem of Keran Valley, a destination waiting to be explored and cherished. With its breathtaking scenery and a plethora of outdoor activities, this valley offers the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of city life, allowing visitors to immerse themselves in the tranquility of nature.
An Overview of Keran Valley:
Situated on the banks of the serene Neelam River, Keran is a paradise for nature enthusiasts and photographers alike. The valley is embraced by lush green hills on both sides, and its panoramic views of snow-capped mountains leave travelers spellbound. With steep mountains and pristine forests, this area is a haven for nature lovers, while ancient monasteries and villages provide a captivating glimpse into rural life.
For adventure seekers, Keran Valley boasts numerous trekking trails that meander through its picturesque landscape. Alternatively, those seeking a more relaxed holiday can revel in the breathtaking scenery while unwinding in one of the charming mountain villages. The combination of slight warmth and coolness in the mountainous terrain creates an enchanting experience for visitors.
One of the most intriguing aspects of Keran Valley is the opportunity to witness Indian-Occupied Kashmir from its borders. Tourists are drawn to this valley to catch a glimpse of the other side of this paradise, which lies under the control of India. Despite political tensions, both the people of India and Pakistan agree that there is no place as beautiful as Keran Valley in the entire sub-continent.
Getting to and Around Keran Azad Kashmir:
For travelers from the capital of Kashmir or other nearby locations, reaching Keran Valley is relatively straightforward. One can book a local intercity bus service to Muzaffarabad, the gateway to the valley, and then continue the journey via cab or private taxi.
Another convenient option is to take a domestic flight to Neelum Valley Airport, located in Muzaffarabad, followed by a two-hour drive to the valley itself. Upon arriving in mainland Keran, visitors can explore the area by hiring a jeep or SUV from the guest houses or local shops.
For the adventurous souls, renting bikes is also possible, but be prepared for rough roads in some pl/*aces. Local visitors can easily explore Keran Valley by using their private vehicles.
Top Attractions in Keran Valley:
Keran Valley is brimming with natural beauty and offers numerous attractions to enthrall visitors. Some of the top highlights include:
- Neelum River (Line of Control): The enchanting Neelam River flows through the valley, also serving as the demarcation line between Azad Kashmir and Indian Kashmir. As visitors ascend the mountains, they are greeted with the sight of the gushing Neelam River and an expansive aerial view of Indian Kashmir.
- Charming Villages: Keran Valley is dotted with picturesque villages that offer a glimpse into the local way of life. The traditional houses, terraced fields, and warm hospitality of the villagers make for a memorable experience.
- Lush Greenery: The valley’s verdant landscape, carpeted with lush greenery, provides a soothing retreat for the eyes and soul. It’s a perfect spot for nature walks and leisurely strolls.
- Keran Resort: The Keran Resort is a popular accommodation option that offers stunning views of the valley and the Neelam River. It is an ideal place to relax and rejuvenate amidst nature’s embrace.
- Hiking and Trekking: Adventure enthusiasts can indulge in thrilling hiking and trekking experiences. The trails take you through dense forests, across sparkling streams, and up to breathtaking viewpoints.
- Upper Neelum: Located above Keran, Upper Neelum offers a more secluded and pristine environment for travelers seeking solitude. The landscape here is rugged and unspoiled, making it a haven for trekkers.
- Chitta Katha Lake: A trek from Keran leads to the mesmerizing Chitta Katha Lake, a turquoise gem nestled amidst the mountains. The lake’s beauty is truly surreal, and it’s a must-visit for nature lovers.
- Shounter Valley: For those seeking further adventure, the nearby Shounter Valley offers mesmerizing views, glacial landscapes, and opportunities for camping.
- Photography: With its picturesque vistas, vibrant landscapes, and charming local culture, Keran Valley is a paradise for photographers seeking to capture nature’s beauty.
A Delightful Escape Keran Valley in Azad Kashmir is a delightful escape for anyone seeking tranquility, adventure, and a rendezvous with nature’s splendor. The combination of breathtaking landscapes, warm hospitality, and a touch of local charm makes it a top destination in northern Pakistan.
Whether you want to immerse yourself in the lush greenery, explore trekking trails, or simply relax amidst the stunning vistas, Keran Valley has it all. As the Neelam River gracefully winds through the valley, it carries with it the magic and allure that make this place truly special.So, pack your bags, embark on a journey to Keran Valley, and discover the hidden treasures of this captivating destination in the lap of the Himalayas.
The town of Keran is also home to several guesthouses and hotels, where visitors can stay and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. The local food is delicious and offers a range of traditional Kashmiri dishes, including rice, meat, and vegetable dishes.