A traditional Pakistani style soft and fluffy flatbread – Roghni Naan is basically made from all purpose flour, yeast, yogurt, milk and eggs. It is also brushed with milk, sprinkled with sesame seeds and baked in the oven until golden and fluffy. best roghni naan recipe
Best Roghni Naan Recipe is made in a tandoor (clay oven). It has a soft, pillowy texture with a golden top that is enriched with melted butter when taken out of the oven. It is a very rich bread and therefore it is eaten on special occasions and enjoyed with some classic dishes like Nihari, Haleem or BBQ. best roghni naan recipe
What is Roghni Naan Made of
Roghni Naan is a type of enriched, leavened flat bread. Traditionally cooked in a cylindrical oven called a tandoor, it is a luxury bread. Roghni Naan has a strong flavor with notes of yogurt, yeast and dairy products. The soft fluffy interior and lightly browned exterior are topped with more ghee fresh from the oven to give it a sheen and enhance the flavor. best roghni naan recipe
Ingrediants for Making Best Pakistani Roghni Naan
- ½ kg – plain flour (maida)
- 2 teaspoons / 1 package – Dry yeast
- ½ tsp. – Sugar
- 5 tbsp. – Butter or ghee
- ¼ cup – yogurt
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. – Warm milk
- ½ cup – Sesame seeds
- ½ tsp. – Salt
- Water for kneading
Best Roghni Naan Recipe
- Sprinkle yeast and sugar into the warm milk. Make sure the temperature of the milk is no higher than 39˚C – an easy way to check without using a thermometer is that it should be just a little warmer than your skin. Keep aside until the mixture bubbles and foams.
- Sift flour and salt, wipe 4 tbsp. ghee into the flour until nice and incorporated. Then make a hole in the middle.
- Pour the yogurt and yeast solution into it and leave for 10 minutes.
- Make a soft, smooth, elastic dough, adding more water as needed to keep the dough soft and loose. This is a highly hydrating dough that promotes rising.
- Place the dough in a large bowl and set aside, covered, for 10 hours or overnight.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal balls and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Set aside for 15 minutes. Roll into thick circles about 10 inches in diameter.
- Use your fingers to make indentations in the dough to create a crosshatch.
- Keep the center slightly thinner than the edges. Preheat oven to 350C.
- Brush the Roghni Naan with the rest of the milk and then sprinkle liberally with the sesame seeds.
- Moisten the bottom and place on a baking sheet. Make as many as will fit in the tray.
- Bake for 4-5 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and brush hot Roghni Naan with ghee.
- Serve hot with meat curry, daal (lentils) or vegetables.