Sugarcane Juice is extracted from raw sugarcane sticks. Sugarcane is one of the major crops used for the production of sugar. Almost three Fourth of the world’s sugar is extracted and made from Sugarcane. Brazil is the world’s largest producer of sugarcane.
Gur (Jaggery) is also made from sugarcane juice followed by Brown Sugar called as “Shakkar” is Pakistan. The Sugar is processed using various chemicals and sulphur. Remaining fiber mass is used to make fuel or paper. Sub-continent i.e. Pakistan and India also produces huge quantity of sugarcane.
How to Made Sugarcane Juice
SugarCane Juice is basically a typical road side drink and is easily & widely available on almost every road side in Pakistan.
Ingredients to Prepare SugarCane Drink:
- 4-5 stalks of fresh sugarcane
- A few ice cubes (optional)
- Lime or lemon juice (optional)
- Water (optional)
- Sugarcane press/juicer (manual or electric)
- Cutting board
- Glass or pitcher
Prepare the Sugarcane Stalks:
- Begin by selecting fresh and clean sugarcane stalks from a reputable source. Ensure that they are free of dirt and contaminants.
- Using a knife, cut off the hard, woody ends of the sugarcane stalks.
Peel the Sugarcane:
- Remove the outer skin of the sugarcane to expose the sweet, juicy core. You can do this by carefully cutting away the skin using a sharp knife. Be cautious while peeling to avoid injury.
Cut into Smaller Sections:
- Once you have peeled the sugarcane, cut it into smaller sections, around 6-8 inches in length. This will make it easier to feed into the juicer.
Juice the Sugarcane:
- If you have a sugarcane press or juicer, feed the sugarcane sections through the machine to extract the juice. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your specific juicer.
- If you don’t have a sugarcane press, you can try using a blender or food processor to process the sugarcane chunks. After blending, strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth to separate the juice from the fibers.
Serve the Sugarcane Juice:
- If you’d like your sugarcane juice to be chilled, you can add a few ice cubes to a glass or pitcher.
- You can also add a splash of lime or lemon juice to enhance the flavor if desired.
- Some people prefer to dilute the sugarcane juice with a little water to adjust the sweetness to their liking. This step is optional.
- Stir the juice well, and it’s ready to be enjoyed! Sugarcane juice is best when served fresh, as it tends to oxidize and lose its flavor over time.
Remember that the flavor and sweetness of sugarcane juice can vary depending on the sugarcane’s ripeness and variety. Experiment with different variations to find your preferred taste. Enjoy your homemade sugarcane juice as a natural and refreshing beverage!