The majority of trekkers opt for guided 2-3 day journeys to Rakaposhi Base Camp, but it’s also feasible to complete the trek in a single day. This article offers guidance for both options.
Elevated at an impressive 7,778 meters or 25,518 feet, Mount Rakaposhi stands taller than the regions of Hunza and Nagar. Ranked as the 27th highest mountain in the world, its base camp treats you to a breathtaking vista, offering not only a close-up view of the majestic Rakaposhi but also the strikingly beautiful Diran and Minapin Glaciers.
Rakaposhi Base Camp Location
Mount Rakaposhi is a 7,788-meter high mountain range in the Karakoram mountain range located in the Nagar Valley of Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan. The name Rakaposhi, meaning “snow-covered” comes from the fact that you can see its unique elevation on its snow-capped peaks from the Karakoram Highway along the Nagar Valley. You can even see its magnificent snow wall all the way from Hunza Valley.
Situated at an elevation of 3,500 meters, the mountain base camp beckons climbers from across the globe to ascend and witness the awe-inspiring mountain up close and in person.
Rakaposhi Base Camp Trek
Drive from Islamabad to Chillas
Drive from Chillas to Minapin
Minapin is situated at an altitude of 2012 meters above sea level. Traveling to Minapin by road typically requires a journey of approximately 5 to 6 hours.
Minapin to Hapakun Trek
The trek from Minapin to Hapakun spans a distance of 5.8 kilometers and typically takes approximately 4 to 5 hours to complete. Hapakun is perched at an elevation of 2814 meters above sea level.
The trek commences from Minapin Village. Here’s a step-by-step guide to the trek:
- Begin your journey from Minapin, heading south along the road until you encounter a bridge leading to the hydroplant.
- From this point, follow the rocky path that ascends the rugged mountain. The trail meanders up and down the mountainside, and the path is generally straightforward, making it easy to navigate through the dense jungle.
- As you progress, you will notice the stunning Minapin Glacier to your left. Continue along the level path through the forest for approximately an hour.
- Soon, you will begin to ascend a hill until you finally reach the Hapakun campsite.
Camping is a fantastic option for those seeking to immerse themselves in the natural beauty of the area. You’ll come across a spacious, grassy area featuring a large white tent (usually unoccupied in October). Here, you can relax and replenish your water supply from a nearby stream if needed. Enjoy the serenity and breathtaking surroundings before continuing your trek in this picturesque wilderness.
Hapakun to Rakaposhi Base Camp Trek
The trek from Hapakun to Rakaposhi Base Camp covers a distance of approximately 3 kilometers and typically necessitates around 3 to 4 hours of hiking. Rakaposhi Base Camp is situated at an elevation of roughly 3,261 meters above sea level.
Here’s a description of the trek:
- From Hapakun, the path starts to ascend a steep slope, leading you through an alpine forest. This forested section lasts for at least an hour, and it provides a serene and shaded portion of the trek.
- As you emerge from the forest, you’ll be greeted by the magnificent sight of Rakaposhi in the background. The view of this towering mountain is truly breathtaking.
- Continue your trek, traversing up and down the hills until you reach a steep slope that offers panoramic views of the mountain range and the snow-covered terrain.
- The Minapin Glacier is a highlight of this trek and is considered one of the most stunning glaciers on Earth. The view from its edge is a remarkable reward for your journey.
- On the return journey from Rakaposhi Base Camp to Minapin, the terrain is mostly downhill, which makes the descent faster. It typically takes about 2.5 hours to return to Minapin.
In total, you can complete the round trip from Minapin to Rakaposhi Base Camp and back in approximately 8.5 hours, including a 2-hour break. This allows ample time to savor the incredible views of the Rakaposhi mountain and its pristine snow.
Best time for Rakaposhi Base Camp Trekking
The optimal time for undertaking the Rakaposhi trek is from May to October when the trails are usually covered in snow, and the weather is often clear, offering ideal conditions for enjoying the beauty of the region.